How To Obtain ITIN
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax ID number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) used on federal tax documents to allow payment of taxes or to file a tax return. ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both residents and non-resident aliens may have a US filing or tax reporting requirement.
What can you do with an ITIN?
You can use an ITIN to:
- Pay taxes and file tax returns
- Open a U.S. bank account (both personal and business)
- Comply with U.S. federal tax reporting and withholding requirements (i.e. Royalties, Dividends, Rental Income, etc.)
- Apply for credit card
- Get a home mortgage loan
- Buy and sell U.S. property
- Apply for apartment rental
- Finance a car
- And much more
What is ITIN not used for?
ITIN does not allow you to:
- Authorize work in the U.S.
- Change your immigration status
- Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits
Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. Examples of individuals who need an ITIN include:
- Non-US citizen and do not qualify for Social Security Number (SSN)
- Non-US resident alien required to file a US tax return
- U.S. resident alien who is filing a U.S. tax return
- Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
- Dependent or spouse of a non-U.S. resident alien visa holder
Why do I need an ITIN?
If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), and you have a tax document (i.e Tax Return), employer, or withholding agent (e.g Bank, Corporation, Amazon, YouTube, Property Management company, etc) that requires you to provide an ITIN, then you must get an ITIN. ITIN serves as your Tax identification number for filing your taxes, receiving a tax return from the IRS and to allow you to claim dependents you support in the U.S., Mexico or Canada. With an ITIN you can open a U.S. bank account and apply for a mortgage loan.
How long is my ITIN valid for?
You must use your ITIN on at least one IRS 1040 US Federal Income Tax Return Form within a three year period or it will expire. If it expires, then your ITIN will no longer be valid under your name and will be open to being reissued to other applicants who qualify and applied for one.
How long does it take to get my ITIN?
ITIN processing time varies based on the time of the year. Typically, once we receive your documents and file it with the IRS it typically takes 3 to 4 weeks (sometimes 4 to 6 weeks) to get your ITIN from the IRS.
What documents do I need to submit my ITIN application?
Here are the documents I will need for your ITIN file:
- 1. Identification Documentation: valid passport. If you do not have a valid passport, then I can provide a List of Alternate Identification Documents you can choose from to use instead for your ITIN application.
- 2. Supporting Documentation. Based on the reason why you are applying for an ITIN, I will instruct you further on how to obtain this after you fill out the ITIN application on this page and I review your file.
How do I retrieve my ITIN if I lost it? How do I check to see if my ITIN is valid?
You can call the IRS ITIN hotline at 1-800-908-9982 to retrieve your lost ITIN or to see if it's valid.
Can I apply for ITIN for my spouse or dependent outside of the US?
Yes, you can apply for ITIN for spouse or dependent even if they are outside the US. Spouse is not considered a dependent for tax return purposes. Therefore, does not require a stamped date of entry on their passport to apply for their ITIN. Dependents, who are from Canada or Mexico and are citizens of those countries, and also dependents of military member overseas, all do NOT require stamped date of entry on their valid passport to be claimed as a dependent for tax return purposes. Dependents who are not from Canada or Mexico, and not dependent on military members overseas WILL require a stamped date of entry into the US on their valid passports.
What's the difference between EIN & ITIN?
Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number for personal use if you don't have a Social Security Number (SSN). Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a tax ID number issued by the IRS to identify a business. EIN is necessary to lawfully conduct business in the U.S. and EIN is necessary to open a business bank account. If you need an EIN, click here.
When can I apply for my ITIN?
You can apply for your ITIN any time during the year.
How do I renew my ITIN if I already have an ITIN?
You can renew your ITIN by filling out the ITIN order form and selecting "Renew ITIN" option at the end of the form.
How do I apply for ITIN?
In order to apply for your ITIN, you will need to fill out the ITIN Application on this page.